In a nutshell
Every German within the meaning of Article 116 (1) of the Basic Law who has reached the age of 16 and is subject to the general obligation to register is obliged to possess an identity card. This does not apply to persons who possess a valid passport and can identify themselves by this.
The obligation to produce an identity card can also be satisfied by presenting a passport or temporary identity card.
Duration of validity
An identity card is issued for 6 years until the age of 24 and for 10 years from the age of 24.
Possibilities, mode of operation, security aspects
Please check the options, functioning, security aspects and blocking emergency call on the ID card portal after applying.
- Fingerprints: The capture and storage of fingerprints in the ID card is voluntary. It is not possible to record fingerprints at a later date. So please make your decision already when applying at the Bürgerservice.
- eID function: When you collect your identity card, the electronic proof of identity (eID function) is activated in accordance with § 10 Paragraph 1 PAuswG.
- Security and data protection
Issue before the age of 16
It is possible to have an identity card issued. The personal presence of the child and at least one legal guardian is required for the application. If only one parent or guardian applies for an ID card, the written declaration of consent (including a copy of the ID card or passport for signature comparison) of the other parent or guardian is required. At least one parent must be present at the time of application and collection!
Furthermore, a proof of custody is mandatory in case of sole custody or in case of unmarried parents (judgement of the family court, negative certificate or custody certificate of the youth welfare office).
The loss or theft of a valid identity card must be reported in writing or in person. If the report has already been made to the police, please bring the duplicate with you.
In principle, the application is only possible at the passport office of the main residence. Personal appearance is required for the application. When applying for a passport for persons under 16 years of age, the presence of the child and a parent with custody is mandatory.
Duration of production - Bundesdruckerei
The Bundesdruckerei usually needs approx. 4 - 6 weeks to produce an ID card.
Issue / collection
From the age of 16, you will receive a so-called PIN letter from Bundesdruckerei. The letter contains the 5-digit secret number (transport PIN), the unblocking number (PUK) and a blocking password. Once you have received the PIN letter, you can collect your ID card. You will not need the PIN letter from Bundesdruckerei when you collect your ID card. Please keep it at home and always separate from your new ID card.
For persons under the age of 16, you have the option of being informed by e-mail when the document is ready and when you can collect it.
If you are in possession of an old, not yet validated, identity card, this must be presented for validation when collecting the new identity card.
The produced identity documents will be issued at the central registration desk on the ground floor of Löbdergraben 12.
Representation at collection
You can be represented at the time of collection. To do so, please fill out a power of attorney, which must also include a declaration of receipt of the PIN letter. Give the authorized person this power of attorney as well as your previous ID. The authorized person must also be able to identify himself or herself. If you have not received a PIN letter, you cannot be represented. In this case, you must appear in person.
- Identity/Naming: To establish your identity, please bring your current (or, if applicable, expired) identity card. To verify your name, please bring a current civil status certificate (original!). Depending on your marital status, this can be a birth certificate or a marriage certificate (book of the family also possible). The presentation of current civil status certificates is required within the framework of the completion of the civil register according to § 3 Federal Registration Act for data comparison as well as for the addition of missing data.
- Photo: Please bring a new (not older than 3 months!), biometric photo. The picture must be 3.5x4.5 cm in size.
- Declaration of consent and proof of custody when applying for persons under 16 years of age
Bürgerservice im eingeschränkten Regelbetrieb
Termine werden vorwiegend für Dienstleistungen, bei denen eine persönliche Vorsprache gesetzlich vorgeschrieben ist, vergeben. Sie haben jedoch die Möglichkeit eine Vielzahl an Anträgen unpersönlich (per Post, E-Mail oder online) zu stellen. Nähere Informationen erhalten Sie unter: Antrag Bürgerservice während Corona.
Bitte beachten Sie, dass eine persönliche Vorsprache nur mit vorheriger Terminvereinbarung erfolgen kann. Diese können Sie entweder über die Online-Terminvereinbarung Bürgerservice oder telefonisch vornehmen.
Informieren Sie sich bitte vor Ihrer Terminbuchung zu den Voraussetzungen und notwendigen Unterlagen der gewünschten Dienstleistung.
Terminzeiten / telefonische Erreichbarkeit
|Montag||08:00 – 15:00 Uhr|
|Dienstag||09:00 – 18:00 Uhr|
|Mittwoch||09:00 – 13:00 Uhr|
|Donnerstag||09:00 – 18:00 Uhr|
|Freitag||08:00 – 13:00 Uhr|
|Applicant from the age of 24||37,00 €|
|Applicant under 24 years||22,80 €|
|Subsequent activation of the online ID function||free of charge|
|Changing the PIN in the Citizen Service (e.g. forgotten PIN)||free of charge|
|Blocking the online ID function in the event of loss||Free of charge|
|Unblocking the online ID function||Free of charge|
- Federal Identity Card Act
- Thuringia Identity Card Act