In a nutshell
In accordance with EU Directive 2006/126/EC (PDF), all driving licences issued before 19.01.2013 must be exchanged. In Germany, the exchange will take place in two stages and staggered in the period from 19.01.2022 to 19.01.2033.
The validity of driving licences issued after 19.01.2013 is limited to 15 years.
Apply for the exchange date as early as possible - your current driving licence will become invalid.
In Germany, the exchange takes place in two stages and is staggered in the period from 19.01.2022 to 19.01.2033. In the table you will find the exchange date that applies to you. Your driver's license must be exchanged by the specified date. Otherwise, your current driver's license will become invalid. Apply for the exchange date as early as possible.
First stage - paper driving licences issued up to and including 31.12.1998
Year of birth of licence holder
Deadline for exchange
|1953 to 1958||19.01.2022|
|1959 to 1964||19.01.2023|
|1965 to 1970||19.01.2024|
|1971 and later||
Second stage - card driving licences issued in the period from 01.01.1999 to 18.01.2013
Year of issue of card driving licence
Deadline for exchange
|1999 to 2001||19.01.2026|
|2002 to 2004||19.01.2027|
|2005 to 2007||19.01.2028|
|2012 until 01/18/2013||19.01.2033|
Note: Driver's license holders whose birth year is prior to 1953 must exchange their card driver's license by 01/19/2033, regardless of the year the license was issued.
You have your main residence in Jena.
The application is made in person after making an appointment. You do not have to fill out an application form. It will be prepared by us and only signed by you.
To do this, please have your old driving licence ready, as you will need to enter the data accordingly. If your driving licence was issued in the former GDR between 1968 and 1982, you must still be in possession of the proof that you were issued a driving licence (index card "VK 30"). Please enclose this proof with your signed application documents and send them to us.
If you are a holder of the old class 3, you must answer further questions in the window that appears. You will find more detailed information on this under the notes on the respective classes.
- Your new driver's license will be sent directly to your registration address by Bundesdruckerei. A further personal visit is therefore not necessary.
- If you do wish to collect your new driving licence in person, it can be collected from the Jena Citizens' Service Centre after approx. 4 weeks. It is absolutely necessary to make an appointment for the collection.
- Passport or identity card
- Photo: Please bring a photo that is not older than three months and complies with biometric regulations. The picture must be 3.5 x 4.5 cm. You can find out what the picture must look like on the Bundesdruckerei website (-> Links).
- Driver's license: If the existing driver's license was not issued by the city of Jena, an index card copy of the foreign driver's license authority that issued the driver's license is necessary. Please request the copy of the index card yourself from the responsible driving licence authority and have it sent directly to us or sent by fax.
- Proof of driving licence issuance (index card "VK 30") for issuance in the former GDR from 1968 to 1982
Bitte beachten Sie, dass eine persönliche Vorsprache nur mit vorheriger Terminvereinbarung erfolgen kann. Diese können Sie entweder über die Online-Terminvereinbarung Fahrerlaubnisbehörde oder telefonisch vornehmen.
Bitte bringen Sie zu Ihrem Termin einen 3G-Nachweis (geimpft, genesen oder getestet) mit.
Ab dem 11.12.2021 gilt die 3G-Pflicht für Besucher.
Informieren Sie sich bitte vor Ihrer Terminbuchung zu den Voraussetzungen und notwendigen Unterlagen der gewünschten Dienstleistung.
Terminzeiten / telefonische Erreichbarkeit
|Montag||08:00 – 15:00 Uhr|
|Dienstag||09:00 – 18:00 Uhr|
|Donnerstag||09:00 – 18:00 Uhr|
|Freitag||08:00 – 13:00 Uhr|
|Processing fee including driver's license and delivery by direct mail||30,40 €|
- EU Directive 2006/126/EC
- Driving licence ordinance (FeV)
- Road Traffic Act (StVG)
- Fee regulations for road traffic measures (GebOSt)