In a nutshell
The residence permit may be issued for a limited period of time and for a specific purpose, i.e. for the purpose of training or studying. The purpose specified and the conditions attached to it are set out in the wording of the residence permit.
The same regulations apply to the extension of the residence permit as to its issue. The same documents are required as for the initial application.
Foreigners may be granted a renewable residence permit for the purpose of applying for studies, preparing for studies (e.g. language course) and studying at a state or state-recognised higher education institution or comparable educational institution. The studies must be the main purpose of the stay, distance or part-time studies are not sufficient.
After successful completion of the studies, the residence permit can be extended for up to 18 months for the purpose of finding a job appropriate to the degree.
In individual cases, a residence permit may be issued for the purpose of attending language courses that are not preparatory to studies or for attending school. If the Federal Employment Agency agrees, a residence permit may also be issued for the purpose of in-company training and further education.
- completed form (-> see forms)
- a biometric passport photo (format 35 x 45 mm)
- Registration at the Bürgerservice
- Proof of accommodation (e.g. tenancy agreement)
- Proof of health insurance
- student identity card
- Certificate of the duration of studies (available at the Student Service Centre or at the International Office [visiting students and DSH course participants] of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena or at the Student Secretariat of the Ernst Abbe University Jena)
- Proof of the type of financing of the studies (for example letter of commitment, proof of scholarship, blocked account, bank statement, ...)
|Montag||09:00 – 12:00 Uhr|
|Dienstag||09:00 – 12:00 Uhr und 14:00 – 18:00 Uhr|
|Donnerstag||09:00 – 12:00 Uhr und 14:00 – 16:00 Uhr|
|Freitag||09:00 – 12:00 Uhr|
Terminvereinbarung ist notwendig.
Issue of certificate of fictitiousness
Issue of residence permit
Extension of residence permit up to 3 months
Extension of residence permit over 3 months
|Change of residence permit incl. extension||98,00 €|
- Act on the Residence, Employment and Integration of Foreigners in the Federal Territory (Residence Act - AufenthG)
- Ordinance on the Employment of Foreigners (Employment Ordinance - BeschV)
- Residence Ordinance (AufenthV)
Please make an appointment in advance using the online appointment form.
To make an appointment, you must be registered with your main residence in Jena.
Register with the appointment code
You will receive an appointment code with your appointment. If you are not on time, the appointment will be cancelled. Half an hour before the appointment you can register at the multilingual registration terminal of the Foreigners' Registration Office with the appointment code. You do not need to pull a ticket!
Appointment confirmation is considered a fictitious certificate
If you make your appointment via our online appointment system, you will receive a fictitious certificate which you can print out together with the binding appointment confirmation. This certificate is valid in Germany and bridges the time until the appointment.